Related to my last post, I had a bug to fix. The images looked rotate 90 degrees locally, so I used Imagemagick’s convert command to rotate them 90 degrees. They looked right locally, and on the sight when viewed in chrome.
However, iOS was showing the images over-rotated by 90 degrees. It turns out after some digging that the pictures were taking on an iOS device and had saved Orientation data in the EXIF data of the image (metadata). The iOS browser was still honoring that metadata.
Because metadata also has date, time, and location info, a lot of people prefer not to publish EXIF data anyway. Photoshop offers options to remove this data when exporting. I believe GIMP may as well.
But I just wanted to make it part of my process. So I updated the Rakefile from the last post with the following command option from Imagemagick’s convert:
convert input.jpg -strip output.jpg
All is well now. Use your favorite EXIF viewer to confirm success.