One of the projects that I work on uses NuGet for library management. We have a rake task that runs build, clean, etc. One of the rake tasks runs NuGet.exe which is stored in a tools directory. That way, everyone uses the same version of NuGet even if they have different versions installed in their program files directory.
For some strange reason I was getting errors when running the rake task that updated the packages. Sometimes it was a generic error, sometimes “Archive file cannot be size 0”. I verified that the NuGet version hadn’t changed. I tested on other machines. I tried running the command by hand to take rake out of the equation. On one machine, it wouldn’t work. Every other machine fine.
I even wiped the folder and checked out again with git. No luck. Finally, I decide to look for a NuGet local cache and see if I had bad packages. Delete the contents of C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\NuGet\Cache\ and this problem will go away. Hopefully this info saves you some time.